May 3, 1914


Arrested for "Inciting to Riot," She First Refuses, Then Is Glad of Bail.


Upton Sinclair to Continue Silent Protest at Standard Oil Offices Today

Marie Ganz, the anarchist who has been hurling unprintable epithets and threats against John D. Rockefeller, Jr. in the last few days, was arrested shortly before noon yesterday in Broadway near Rector street while on her way with Alexander Berkman to join the “free silence” paraders in front of the Standard Oil Building at 26 Broadway.

A warrant issued by Magistrate Murphy at the Instance of Deputy Police Commissioner Rubin charged her with using "threatening language" and "inciting to riot." She was taken through Wall street to the Old Slip police station house and remained in a cell for about three hours.

“Sweet Marie,” as her street audiences have begun to know her, was released on a bail bond supplied by a surety company and she left the station house shortly before 4 o’clock subdued and quiet and accompanied only by H. Robert Bernstein, an employee of the surety company. She will be arraigned in the Tombs police court this morning.

A number of the striking miners are on their way from Colorado, it was said at the free silencers' headquarters at 8 Trinity place yesterday, to take part in the crape wearing demonstrations In front of the Standard Oil Building. No one could say when the strikers will arrive because. It was explained, they are "beating their way to New York on freight trains."

Upton Sinclair, organizer of the "free silence" daily stroll of crape wearers in front of 26 Broadway, said last night that a number of young men at the paraders headquarters In Trinity place told him they intended to go to Tarrytown today and continue the crape procession at the Rockefeller country estate at Pocantico Hills.

Sinclair, to whom "Sweet Marie and the, other shouters seem to be a sad trial, declared he would take no part In the Tarrytown invasion. He will not visit any churches either, in the hope of showing a crape clad arm to John D.Rockefeller or Mr. Rockefeller, Jr. as some of the protestors against the Colorado shootings say they would do.

"But I intend to walk up and down in front of the Standard Oil Building again said Sinclair. "My protest Is not against Mr Rockefeller personally, but against the invisible government of which he is a part. Therefore, even if no one is in the building on Sunday, the visible protest against the invisible government will continue just the same.

"I have no sympathy with these street disturbers who are bawling like a lot of hoodlums and making unnecessary disturbances. We believe in a protest of silence against an institution, and I for one will not hang around Mr. Rockefeller's church or his country home."

Marie Ganz detonated around the “people’s forum” in the plaza north of the Municipal Building during the forenoon yesterday and then headed down Broadway with Berkman. Near Rector street a group of reporters who were waiting for her to join the crowd watching the free silencers further down the street accosted Sweet Marie.

“I’m going up to Rockefeller’s office again,” Sweet Marie told the reporters “and leave the same message for him that I left for him before. After that I’m going to hold a meeting in Bowling Green.”

Lieut. Murray J. Werzansky and Detective Henley of Mr. Rubin’s staff, who had strolled up to the group had a different idea about how Sweet Marie was to put in the noon hour. Werzansky interrupted some of Sweet Marie’s choicest cuss words to show her the warrant they had for her arrest.

From that time on Sweet Marie spent an absolutely cussless day. She seemed really pleased when placed under arrest but took the honor quietly. She was born in Austria twenty-five years ago. She said at the station house, and she is she added, “a saleslady.”

Someone called up The Sun last night to announce that a memorial service for the dead Colorado strikers would take place at 3 P.M. today in front of the Standard Oil building at 26 Broadway. It was said the service would be conducted by the Rev. William Miller Gamble, rector of the St. Stephen’s Church Coytesville, N.J., who would wear his robes.


“Mourners” Continue Night Patrol and One Tries to Speak.

Five "mourning paraders" went" on patrol in front of John D, Rockefeller Jr.’s home at 10 West Fifty-fourth street at 5:30 o'clock last night and continued their weary walk four hours. They were Marie Chapoufke, Sarah Greenwood, Max Appel, Arthur Caron and an unidentified man who said he "Just came in from Tacoma, Wash."

Detective Billy Ward. detailed from Police Headquarters, decided that the promenade was too short and compelled the walkers to lengthen the laps until they extended from Fifth avenue almost to Sixth avenue. At 7 o'clock a man who looked like n Kentucky Colonel mounted the steps of the Rockefeller house and tried to make a speech. Ward made him scoot.

At the close of the walk the man from Tacoma took all the “mourners” to a Sixth avenue restaurant.

It was announced that the walk will be resumed at 8:30 o’clock this morning and will continue in relays all day.


Employees Ready to Resist Any Move by Agitators

Tarrytown, N.Y., May 2.—If any I.W.W.’s or other agitators attempt to annoy John D. Rockefeller, Jr., or his father at Pocantico they will meet with strong resistance. Employees on the estate were asked today whether or not they were willing to become deputies if the occasion arose, and all agreed.

The Rockefeller automobile has been meeting every train at the Tarrytown station, but who the chauffeur expected could not be learned. At 10 o’clock three men came out from New York. They were immediately driven to Pocantico Hills. It is supposed they were detectives.

John D. Rockefeller, Sr., played golf alone but tow strange men followed him around the course and kept a sharp out look for strangers. It is believed they were Burns men.

John D. Rockefeller, Jr. was not out all day.

No comments:

Post a Comment